Sunday 9 January 2011

Road to recovery - planning races

Hi-de-hi.

All going well, been out for a couple of runs and gym trips this past week and although still getting the odd niggle and tightness in my lower back I'm essentially staying the right side of injury. So planning to step up the training, and plan my Spring schedule.  Starting with a 5 mile run today, 1 mile longer than anything I've done since August 2010!

Also looking at races to do in next few months.  There are loads of superb races.  I'm not ready to enter a 10-miler or half-marathon until I've successfully upped the miles in training, so lucky there are loads of mid-distance races in Edinburgh and surrounding areas.  (But if you do fancy either of these distances, Lasswade 10m is very hilly but one of my all-time favourite road races, and I also rate the Alloa half-marathon)

So I would definitely like to do the KB5, the Gartmorn 6 trail race, and either the Cupar 5m or the Falkirk "Round the Houses" 10K which both fall on the same weekend.

In terms of longer term plans, I'm very happy to see that the Edinburgh to St Andrews bike challenge (67 miles) and the 7 Hills of Edinburgh race fall on consecutive weekends in June rather than the same weekend like last year, so I aim to do both!

Anyway, let's get today's training run out the way first.

2 comments:

  1. Sandy - glad you're on the comeback mate. Mine continued apace this morning with a sluggish 12miler (the farthest I've ran in over three months). What I'm finding particularly difficult this time round is trying to re-establish a breathing pattern.
    Anyway, glad you've targets in mind - funnily enough I've done the same and entered the first two on your list there. Also, the KB5 was the first race I ever did in Porty colours, pity it's the day before Lasswade or I might have joined you!
    Hope to see you back at the club imminently. Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might join you at the Gartmorn 6 as its a wee stonker! Sadly most of the others now give me the horrors but I used to love them! V. glad you're on your way back...

    ReplyDelete