Monday 27 December 2010

Best reads of 2010

Time for another list....  Like most of you I expect (!) I like to keep a record of all the books I read.  I've only averaged about 2 books a month this year, which is a bit below par, but there have been some crackers in there.  Here's my top 10:

1. Mercy Among the Children - David Adams Richards
2. Weekend - William McIlvanney
3. The Sopranos - Alan Warner
4. Amsterdam - Ian McEwan
5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Steven Chbosky
6. Feet in the Clouds (A Tale of Fell Running and Obsession) - Richard Askwith
7. The Burnt Out Town of Miracles - Roy Jacobsen
8. Romanno Bridge - Andrew Greig
9. Invisible - Paul Auster
10. The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

Two most disappointing reads of 2010:
1. On the Road - Jack Kerouac
2. Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Reading's a very personal thing, so I expect I've just dissed someone's favourite, and commended something someone else thought was rubbish. Happy to explain myself if required!  As well as the book I've given top place, which was a brilliant find, I was most pleased by finally getting round to reading the McEwan, Warner and McIlvanney books, all of which were worth the wait.

I'm also really enjoying Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada just now, but don't think I'll quite have it finished before the end of the year.  Otherwise it might well have broken the top 10...  Got a huge pile of books ready and waiting for me in 2011 for once I finish it, I'm sure there'll be more highs and lows awaiting me.

If anyone else wants to post a top 10, 5, 3 or even 1 book that they've read in the past year I'd be interested to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment