Thursday 7 April 2011

Pause (pummelling)

I've had a frustrating couple of weeks, unable to run. In fact, even walking has been painful and awkward. So Tuesday was time to ramp up efforts to fix the problem. For the first time, I went for a double whammy of deep tissue massage *and* chiropractic adjustment. The theory being that tight, twisted muscles are stopping my joints/vertebrae from staying where they should and/or putting pressure on nerves.

So, for a full hour the massage concentrated entirely on my left glute, piriformis, and hamstring. (Top of my leg and my butt, for the non-anatomists amongst you).  Then, the usual quick chiropractic adjustment.

I cannot tell you how strange it was afterwards. I have become so used to tensing/ flinching when my left foot strikes the ground that I was expecting it with every step, and it was genuinely disconcerting to be walking pain-free and normally for the first time in a fortnight... I couldn't help smiling as I walked.

Yesterday morning I got up expecting to be pretty much unable to walk (as had been the case lately) but was still ok and feeling no major discomfort, apart from plenty of bruising from the muscles that took a beating the day before. I was also still occasionally involuntarily compensating for pain that never came...

Now, 2 days on and still no issues apart from residual bruising and sore muscles. All in all, the improvement is incredible. Last weekend I thought I'd have to cancel all expectations for races this year, now I'm optimistic again.

Over the next couple of days I'm going to continue to rest and let my muscles recover from the beating they had, but all being well I'll try a short run this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment